Low Carb Italian Chicken Cacciatore
“This Chicken Cacciatore recipe is my low carb twist on a very popular Italian-American dish, Chicken Cacciatori, which typically includes sausage and Marsala wine.” Low Carb Italian Chicken Cacciatore – You must try this recipe.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
- 2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 ounces green bell pepper about 1 med to large
- 4 ounces red bell pepper about 1 medium to large
- 4 ounces onion about 1/2 of a medium
- 1 tablespoon Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
- 2 cloves large garlic
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water with bouillon
- 1/3 cup olive oil divided, or bacon grease
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons water
- Wash the peppers and place together with the onion and garlic. Put a large dinner plate near the stove for the chicken and mushrooms. Ready two cutting boards – one for the chicken and the other for the vegetables. Have the sherry and chicken broth ready.
- Dry the chicken breasts. Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then cut into strips on the bias. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil over the chicken strips and mix. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend over the chicken and mix oil and seasoning into the chicken. ( I used my hands)
- Put a large saute pan over medium heat and let it get good and hot. Add 2 tablespoon of oil and roll it around the pan to coat. Add 1/2 – 1/3 of the chicken strips and brown in batches, cooking all the way through. Add oil to the pan before the next batch, if needed. Remove the browned chicken strips to a large dinner plate. Make sure to get them nice and brown – the bottom of the pan should have a nice golden brown color when finished.
- Next, add 1-2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan and begin browning 1/2 of the mushrooms. Brown both sides. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, adding them to the chicken. Add more oil and brown the remaining mushrooms. They don’t need babysitting, so this is the time to thinly slice the peppers, onions, and garlic, putting them together in a bowl, or on a plate, or just leaving them on the cutting board. Remove the last of the mushrooms to the plate and add the vegetables to the pan.
- Pile the vegetables over the parts of the pan with the most browned bits. They will steam a little as they cook and it will be easy to begin scraping-up all of that caramelized goodness. Move the vegetables around the pan and cook them half way through. The onions will begin to soften and the peppers should still be firm. Add the chicken broth, then the sherry, stirring the vegetables and scraping any remaining brown bits (fond) off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back to the pan and cover loosely with a lid, a piece of foil, or a sheet pan, to bring the mixture up to a simmer. Mix two teaspoons of cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) with two teaspoons of water to make a slurry. Uncover the pan and add the slurry, stirring it in quickly. Add the salt and let the liquid simmer for a 1 minute to thicken.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve.
Per Serving: 312 calories; 14 g fat; 6.9 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein.
Recipe by: Kiro, Photo Credit: Alice P. (flickr)
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.