“This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.” Split Pea Soup – You must try this recipe.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
- 2 1/4 cups dried split peas
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 1/2 pounds ham bone
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- In a large stock pot, cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and soak overnight.
- If you need a faster method, simmer the peas gently for 2 minutes, and then soak for l hour.
- Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Cover, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bone; cut off meat, dice and return meat to soup.
- Add celery, carrots and potatoes.
- Cook slowly, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Per Serving: 310 calories; 1 g fat; 57.9 g carbohydrates; 19.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 255 mg sodium.
Recipe by: bluebayou, Photo Credit: Megan K. (flickr)
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.