“An extremely rich and chocolatey, gluten-free & low carb chocolate pastry cream which is perfect for filling pastries and pies, an ice cream base, or thinned for pudding. ” Low Carb Chocolate Pastry Cream – You must try this recipe.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (sift before measuring)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite
- Ready a strainer by the stove, finely chop the chocolate and have the butter ready.
- Place the cream and almond milk in a medium sauce pan or pot (about a 6 cup capacity), and turn the heat to medium – low.
- Add the erythriltol, cornstarch, xanthan gum, cocoa powder and salt to a medium heat-proof mixing bowl and mix together with a small whisk. Add the 2 whole eggs and the three yolks to the dry ingredients in the bowl and whisk together.
- If bubbling and simmering hasn’t occurred around the sides of the saucepan, turn the heat up to medium until it does. Then turn-off the heat and while whisking the egg mixture continuously, pour all of the cream into the mixing bowl in a thin stream.
- Put the pot back on the stove and scrape the egg and cream mixture into the pot. Quickly rinse out the bowl, swipe with a paper towel, and set next to the stove with the strainer over the top.
- Turn the heat to medium low and begin whisking the pastry cream mixture. Nothing will happen for about 2 1/2 minutes and then it will start to thicken-up slightly. Whisk a little faster. At about the 3 – 3 1/2 minute mark, it will begin to thicken. Whisk briskly and cook for 1 minute more BUT don’t let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. A lazy simmer is fine.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove, still whisking briskly for another minute. Whisk in the vanilla, stevia glycerite, chopped chocolate and butter. Then, pour the pastry cream through the strainer, catching any cooked egg bits.
- To cool, push a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the surface of the pastry cream and place in the refrigerator OR make a water bath by putting ice and water in a large bowl, setting the smaller bowl with the pastry cream into the water bath, and stirring until cool. Then cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or best if overnight.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 serving equals 1/2 cup.
Per Serving: 171 calories; 17 g fat; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein.
Recipe by: lowcarbmaven.com, Photo Credit: James B. (flickr)
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.